Where to start….
Concert level instruments, built to this incredible standard are not something we encounter often here at Nepean Music. I can safely say that in 25 years, we have never seen anything like this one.
Dan Koentopp makes some of the most awe-inspiring and sought after acoustic archtop jazz guitars on the planet. They are entirely hand crafted by Dan himself, in his workshop in Southern California. From what we understand, the wait time on a build can be more than 3-4 years. Premium materials including Macassa Ebony and European Spruce and highly figured flamed Maple are on full display. The neck is re-inforced with carbon fibre, Hardware includes Waverley tuners and an incredible Hoffee carbon fibre case. See full specs bellow
There is only so much we can say here about an instrument like this, here are some links that are helpful in telling the story.
The original story: (with photos) https://koentoppguitars.com/blog/a-chicagoan-in-melbourne/
NOTE: please be aware that this guitar is available to view at Nepean Music by appointment only.
SPECS AS FOLLOWS:
- Chicagoan Archtop, built in April of 2017
- Select European spruce top
- Select European flamed maple back and sides
- Flame maple laminated neck with bone nut width of 1.75", C Shape profile (.83" @3rd)
- Neck reinforeced with carbon fiber and two-way truss rod.
- String spacing at bridge - 2.1875"
- Macassar Ebony Fingerboard with scale length 24.75"
- Macassar Ebony headstock face veneer
- Macassar ebony veneer on rear of headstock
- Macassar Ebony heal cap
- Flame maple body binding with violin style purfling, and maple bound fingerboard
- Elliptical inlay position markers on fingerboard edge
- Tab Inlay fret markers
- Satin feel neck (strap on front of heel)
- Medium jumbo frets
- Unardorned Fingerboard with curved extension
- Rear headstock inlay
- Waverly tuners, nickel with ebony buttons
- Hand cut compensated, ebony adjustable bridge
- Hand carved Macassar ebony fittings, with pickguard
- Lacquer natural honey look
- Custom fit Hoffee carbon fiber case